Because of the chronic inflammation in my gut, I am constantly looking for natural anti-inflammatory remedies. I found this fantastic YouTube video of natural health expert Jordan Rubin boasting about the anti-inflammatory magic of bone broth.
Bone broth contains minerals, vitamins and essential amino acids that aid in digestion and rid the gut of inflammation. Rubin recommends drinking bone broth daily and says that the broth can even be consumed on its own. I wasn’t brave enough for that y’all, so I decided to make a soup.
I headed to my local Sprouts, purchased Bonafide’s Organic Chicken Bone Broth and set out to make my soup. It’s best to buy the bone broth frozen. Because the frozen broth does not contain the additives and preservatives of broth sold on shelves, it locks in the most nutrients. It is, however, a bit more expensive (between $10- $12).
Other fabulous anti-inflammatory ingredients I include in this soup are coconut milk, ginger & turmeric. Although I give recommended measurements, the beauty of soup is that you can decide how much or how little of each ingredient you want based on your taste buds. I was pretty generous with my carrots, celery, green onion and ginger.
Eating this soup was like eating healing itself. It was warm, soothing, & incredibly delicious. Let me know what you add or take away to make it your own!
Approx. 4-5 servings
- 24 oz. Bone broth (preferably frozen)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Olive oil
- 1 large piece of cod
- 3-4 large Carrots, chopped
- 3-4 Celery ribs, chopped
- 2-3 Green Onions, sliced
- 1-2 cups Kale
- The juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Fresh Ginger grated (2-3 inch piece)
- 2 tbsp of chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tsp of Turmeric
- 1 tsp of Garlic powder
- 1 tsp of Pepper
- 1 tsp of Dried rosemary
- 1 tsp of Dried minced garlic
- Firstly, season the cod with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and a splash of lemon. Add a tbsp of olive oil and bake for 10-12 minutes on 400 degrees. Set aside.
- While your fish is baking, chop the celery, onion, and green onion. Saute with 1/4 cup olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Season with sea salt, turmeric, pepper, rosemary and minced garlic.
- Next, pour bone broth and coconut milk into the pot.
- Add kale and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Grate the ginger and chop the cilantro. Add to the pot.
- Taste and season to your liking.
- Finally, add the cod.
- Enjoy that thang!